Wednesday 11 July 2012

Sweet Marie Bars and summer bliss

   




       I've been feeling the urge to bake up something delicious over the past few weeks, but it's been so hot out that I can't bring myself to turn on my oven. So Mya and I spent some time yesterday afternoon baking up some delicious Sweet Marie Bars (no need to turn on the oven and honestly the easiest dessert that you'll ever make...and the yummiest, I promise). Recipe to follow below.



With the start of summer underway, we've been trying to purposely find ways to soak up this time with Mya and seek out ways to find joy and fun throughout each day for all of us. Summer time in this household has definitely begun.

A few of the things that we've been enjoying over the past couple of weeks:

1) I'm officially a mom. We bought a van.

     My practical side always wanted a van--the space is incredible, it's perfect for packing in lots of people and stuff, and with our double stroller and another baby on the way, it's the best vehicle for our family. It wasn't a quick decision though--and since our rule is that we never buy anything that we can't pay for in cash (vehicles included), we saved for a while before finally taking the plunge. But I'm loving every minute of driving this beast around town--finally we have space!


2) Dad's birthday! And oh my goodness..cute little Oliver giggles.





3) Swing bought off of Kijiji for $5.

BEST money I've ever spent. We're in the process of getting a complete play set for our kiddos--pics to come soon! It's all part of my master plan to provide our kids with a magical childhood full of laughter, fun and memories. But in the meantime, my dad put up a swing on our back deck to keep her entertained until the play set is completely ready. She just can't get enough of it.

Oliver loves our swing too. So I bought him a swing as well off of Kijiji for our play set-to-be so he and Mya can swing together when it's built. 



4) Morning sunrise from our backyard. This is the beauty that we miss every morning happening right outside our door as we sleep. However, we've been so lucky to have a little munchkin who has decided to wake up between 4:30-4:45am for the past two weeks for some reason to allow us the luxury of sunrises. It really is quite beautiful though.   


5) Ayva's birthday party:

Little Ayva turned 2 (and also became a big sister as her mama just gave birth to another little girl). Congrats Alex and Russ!


The party location (and even a splash pad for the kids too!).














5) BBQ with friends--(complete with delicious food and kiddie pool fun). Thanks Kim and Jason!!



Summer time has definitely begun!! Hope you're finding ways to enjoy it too.

**********

And now for those delicious Sweet Marie Bars...here ya go. Easy peasy to make:


Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 cups rice krispies
1/2 cup of icing (chocolate)

1) Mix sugar, peanut butter and syrup in pot on stove


2) Stir in rice krispies


3) Press into 8" baking pan (use parchment paper for easy removal)

p.s. I doubled this recipe, so my pan is larger in this pic.


4) Spread with icing while still warm



Let cool before cutting into squares (and putting them in the fridge when they're all cut up makes them even tastier!). Enjoy!!  


Happy summer time!!!



1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of Oliver on the swing!! Here's looking forward to more summer fun :)

    ReplyDelete

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...