Friday 15 November 2013

A slow start...




Christmas is slowly creeping into our house this week.

*remember this wreath from last year? The one that cost me a whole $6 to make? If you want to make it this year, check out this link to my old post and you can whip one up too in about 30mins. Apparently it's a popular little craft idea, since amazingly this wreath and little blog post has been pinned over 1000 times on Pinterest in only a couple of days--which really only means that it's EASY..so go for it! 


Anyways, slow is not a word that I use very often...especially when it comes to Christmas.

Christmas tends to explode quickly in our house (usually once the Halloween candy gets marked down to 1/2 price that's my cue to get out the sparkle)...and Terry is now just used to coming home to a mess of pine needles, sparkle, twinkly lights and Christmas balls. And he smiles and shakes his head at me each and every time, never surprised.

But this year? I just feel busy. Too much on my brain. Too much to get done. Too many things to finish. And two little people who need so much of me each day.

I just feel busy. Swamped, even.

I walked into the living room the other day holding an ice cream cone, packed as high as I could get it, and announced to Terry:

"Our eat healthy competition is over. I'm just too busy to bother with this NONSENSE. Forget it. I'm having an ice cream cone. So there".

He laughed at me as he sat there eating his lovely little carrot sticks.

"Let's just say you win then, okay?", he said to me. "You deserve it". And he pulled me over and hugged me, realizing that you really shouldn't mess with a girl holding an ice cream cone as big as the one I had in my hand.

This is why I love this man.

We'll start over next week. Maybe.

But for now, Christmas is coming in slowly this year. Little by little. And I'm okay with it--surprisingly.

Sometimes great things take time. And Christmas in this house is definitely a GREAT thing. So I'm willing to take my time.

But in the meantime, you can find me feeding babies with Carter (how cute is that??)...


baking cookies with little cousins...


and taking some time to watch the snowflakes fall.


And Christmas? Well, it makes me happy just thinking about it. So look out kids--magic and sparkle is just around the corner. Your mom's just not as on the ball this year.

Now...with all of that said...excuse me while I go ransack my closet to try to find something to wear for this weekend...because Terry and I are GOING AWAY BY OURSELVES TOMORROW. Yes, it's unbelievable. It hasn't happened in almost 3years. We'll be staying in a hotel (YES!!), and sleeping in (woo hoo!), and eating quiet meals together where we can actually TALK to each other, and I'll be sipping on cocktails (OMG, I'll be on the ground after the first drink since I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 4years with all the pregnancies/nursing)...it's going to be amazing. AMAZING. And the best part? Terry's new company is providing all of this to us. It's the best staff Christmas party I've ever heard of.

But as I sit here writing this, I already miss my babies. So it might be a little bittersweet. Okay...it'll be A LOT bittersweet. But we're excited. Gotta go pack. And kiss my babies a million times before I go...because, well, I miss them already.

Happy Friday!!

Erica xo








No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...