Wednesday 19 March 2014

Peanut butter/banana muffins packed full of veggies...and I swear they're delicious!



I've been on a search for a while now for a muffin recipe that makes me feel like I'm eating a decadent treat, but that is actually stuffed full of hidden veggies.

My friends...I've found it.


I promise you, it tastes like the most delicious peanut butter/banana muffin you will ever taste...but it secretly has TONS of pureed cauliflower and carrots hidden inside. You'd never even know it as it is so moist and delicious.


My kids love muffins and although I've always made healthy ones in the past, I thought that I could bump it up a notch and see if I could get even sneakier and add even more healthy goodness to this beloved snack. So what's better than feeding your kids something that they love and sneaking some extra veggies into every bite that they take?  I promise, they'll never know.



My mother-in-law was over the other day and she took a bite of one of them, having no idea what kind of muffins they were, and her response was "Wow, are these peanut butter muffins? They're SO good!". Little did she know she was biting into a ton of carrots and cauliflower as well.

Muffin test = passed with flying colours.


So I whipped up a triple batch of these suckers one night when the kids were in bed, making regular sized ones for Terry and I (and of course I added tons of chocolate chips to ours--cause, really...the chocolate chips are probably canceled out completely by the amount of veggies that are stuffed into these suckers. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself).



And I made bite-size ones for the kids, which is the perfect size for their little hands--and I only put one little chocolate chip on top (none inside), to give them the illusion of a chocolate chip muffin--which they totally fall for every single time.




These have become a household favourite and a recipe that I will be making over and over again, because they're really THAT good. No one needs to know that they're so healthy. I certainly won't tell. 

So if you want to get you or your kids eating more veggies, give these a try. I promise you'll love them. Especially if you add the chocolate chips---cause remember, they're totally canceled out. Add as many as you want and ENJOY! 

Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins:

You will need:
-nonstick cooking spray
-1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup natural peanut butter
-1/2 cup carrot or cauliflower puree (just boil veggies in a pot of water until soft, then throw in food blender with a bit of water until completely smooth)
-1/2 cup banana puree
-1 large egg white
-1 cup whole-wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.

2) In large mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, the veggie and banana purees and the egg white, using a wooden spoon. 

3) Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir. Add to the bowl with the peanut butter mixture and stir just to combine (do not over mix--batter should be a bit lumpy). Add the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir once or twice. 

4) Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until the muffins are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into middle, 15-20mins. 

5) Let cool and store in an airtight container (or, pop them in the freezer and they'll last for approx one month--and you can just pull one out and defrost it whenever you want one!). 

Enjoy!! 
Erica xo


*Recipe: Jessica Seinfeld's "Deceptively Delicous" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...